Sunday, August 14, 2011

Why I Will Get My CCW License

Wisconsin recently joined 48 other states and made concealed carry of firearms legal as of November 1st. I am all for the option and support the law. As the boy puts it
"Its like a fire extinguisher. I hope I never have to use it but want it there just in case."
This has special meaning to me. About a month before I moved back to Wisconsin from the Washington DC area, I was a victim of a break in an attempted sexual assault. I was alone in my locked apartment in seemingly safe McLean, VA. My work sent me home early (around 2 pm) and I fell asleep while watching TV.  I heard what I thought was my roommate coming home. The next thing I know, I was dragged from the couch and the guy tried taking off my PJ pants.

Instinct set in and I screamed as loud as I could. The guy took off running. One of my neighbors on the 3rd floor heard my screams and saw the intruder take off on foot.

The neighbor told the police the guy had been casing the apartment complex, and specifically our building, for the past few weeks. The indtruder broke my roommates window, which right next to the enterance of the building and in full view of the parking lot. Nothing was stolen. The police think he was after something in my roommate's room but heard the TV and went looking.

He was never caught and the police have closed the investigation.

I share this, hoping that others might learn from it.  There was nothing else I could do to be any safer in the apartment at the time. Both the deadbolt and chain where locked in place. My roommate even had a deadbolt on her room door. In all normal logical situations I was safe. Criminals do not follow logic. Broad daylight, right near the entrance, and using a pry bar to break the window.

Back to the fire extinguisher example. I doubt I will ever carry, whether is it open or concealed, but I will go through a course and get my license. I want to learn the right way stay safe, just in case. The break in, almost 3 years ago, has taught me it's better to safe, than sorry.


1 comment:

  1. Exactly right Fern. Lu carries and, though I hope she never needs to use it, she's prepared if she does. I'm proud of you and I know Fred ia as well.

    ReplyDelete